Little Bee

Little Bee Little Bee by Chris Cleave


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The jacket of this book informs me "We don't want to tell you what happens in this book." I think this is a cop-out. It's an advertising scheme to get you to read the book. The only reason I read this book was because I read the other reviews and found out the general gist of it. (I don't have time to waste reading books that I know nothing about and may not be worth it!)

It's told by two women...Little Bee a Nigerian girl and Sarah a British editor for a magazine. The chapters go back and forth between the two, being told by each woman. I fell in love with the way Little Bee writes and talks and thinks. She made the book...and thus the book is titled after her. (Seriously, would you read the book if it was called "Sarah"??? Neither would I.)

I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. It was enjoyable. But I wouldn't buy the book or read it again. (And the jacket cover description pisses me off.) However, the jacket cover photo is amazing. LOVE it! (It took me awhile to realize that Sarah is the "eye" of Little Bee in the picture...wow!)

Best quote from the book:
"I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

View all my reviews >>

Comments

Jen Mc said…
Thanks for the book review. I'll check this one out.
Merry Christmas!
Latharia said…
Hm. I might have to look for this one! Thanks for sharing the review!

Popular Posts