Push

Push Push by Sapphire


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I picked this up at the library yesterday. I thought I'd start it before I went to bed. Trouble is, I couldn't put it down. I read the whole book in 2 1/2 hours last night in one sitting. (Needless to say, I stayed up way too late last night because I HAD to finish it.)

I heard about this book because it recently was made into the movie Precious that is getting great reviews. I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie.

I'd give Push 4.5 stars. We learn in the first paragraph that Precious Jones had her first child at age 12 (the baby was born with Down's Syndrome) and is pregnant again at age 16...both by her own father!

At times this book was difficult to read with many sad pages. (This book is written in Precious' words...just how she would speak.) But through it all, Precious shows she's not a quitter. Seeing what she goes through on a daily basis really opens ones eyes to see the good they have in their own life.

Best quote from the book:
"I'm alive inside. A bird is my heart. Mama and Daddy is not win. I'm winning. I'm drinking hot chocolate in the Village wif girls - all kind who love me. How that is so I don't know. How Mama and Daddy know me sixteen years and hate me, how a stranger meet me and love me. Must be what they already had in they pocket."

View all my reviews >>

Comments

Casey Blue said…
I saw the movie last month, it was a doozy...

Popular Posts